buhl library, grove city college : grove city, pa
Client: Grove City College
This renovation updates the mid-century campus library for modern programming as a vibrant commons, outfitted for learning with the latest methods, for tech-assisted research, and for collaboration and socializing. PWWG coordinated the “Transformation Study” to assess physical conditions and systems, and develop detailed concepts for upgrades and a baseline budget. Our narratives, 3D models, and flythroughs helped stakeholders agree on new layouts and materials, and they are key to the college’s successful fundraising. PWWG took the project from concept to construction documents, and we are leading contract administration as renovations begin in summer 2021.
Design Strategies Re-make the Library as a Vital Part of the Campus
- Combines mid-20th century charm with 21st century active learning.
- Creates a variety of spaces and seating for students and faculty: private and group study areas, meeting spaces, flexible classrooms, and a large lounge/reading area.
- Redesign of the Lobby creates a gateway with a custom art installation that celebrates major donors.
- Stack area is right-sized.
- PWWG’s interior design and FF&E are a creative riff on the college’s branding.
- New layouts minimize structural modifications and stewardship of resources.
3 stories, approx. 44,300 square feet.
$ 6,370,000 (estimated)
Existing Conditions Documents
August 2022 (estimated)
2022 Master Builders' Association of Western PA Building Excellence Award for Best Renovation Between $5 – 10 Million
Atlantic Engineering Services
Landau Building Company
Food Service Consultanting
Masonry Preservation Services, Inc.