buhl library, grove city college : grove city, pa
Client: Grove City College
Reno/refresh of 1950s three-story building into a vibrant new hub for academic life and locus for a variety of learning environments and socialization, in private and with peers. PWWG first coordinated assessment of physical conditions and systems to compile “baseline” budget needs and design for upgrades and deferred maintenance. We then developed a conceptual design for transformation and modernization into a more vital part of the academic community, shifting to a “customer” orientation and creating new distinct programming areas in former open stack spaces.
Key Design Strategies
- Combines mid-20th century charm with 21st century active learning and student expectations.
- Creates a variety of spaces and seating on 3 floors for students and faculty to embrace the library as a learning commons and make it the “go-to” place for study on campus, with private and group study areas, meetings, collaboration, flexible classrooms, and large scale lounge/reading area.
- Redesign of the Lobby creates a gateway
- Makes the stack area more efficient and right-sized for 21st century needs.
- Minimizes structural modifications.
- For the “Transformation Study,” PWWG developed plans and 3D models at various scales to help stakeholders understand the proposed changes, including material palettes. PWWG’s approach gained consensus and our design and materials were used by the college for fundraising. With that effort well underway, PWWG was commissioned to implement the study. We are coordinating the work of a full A/E team to develop drawings and documentation for construction. The Study, with renderings and narratives, is key for fundraising to realize the built projects; Several projects in the Master Plan have already been funded and are in construction.
3 stories, approx. 44,300 square feet.
$ 6,370,000 (estimated)
Existing Conditions Documents
August 2022 (estimated)
Atlantic Engineering Services
Landau Building Company
Food Service Consultanting
Masonry Preservation Services, Inc.